Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My first post

So, I am behind an entire week.  I managed to forget that it was supposed to start last week.

For this blog, I will be posting my CSS Tech Challenge experiences.  I have had blogs on and off for about 15 years now.  My first blog was back when "Livejournal" was popular.  Blogger really makes introducing blogging quite simple.  It's easy to start a blog with them because they have select templates.  What I like about Blogger is that they always seem to give you the option to "upgrade" your look and ideas.

Currently, the only blog that I keep steady is a personal one that I do not give out to people.  It's more of a personal journal and a record of my feelings.  It gives me the option of having the opportunity to share it with others if I want or it gives me the chance just to have a record of my experiences.

I can see blogs being helpful from a librarian point of view.  It's easy for me to say that it is a great personal tool to reach out to your youthful patrons; however, it's a great tool to reach out to your other peers and coworkers.  It gives almost an instant feed back as to what works for someone and what doesn't.

The most difficult task about keeping a blog though is making that commitment.  It can be difficult to constantly keep up and communicating back and forth becomes a task instead of something enjoyable.  It is also easy to offend someone if you tend to make your voice a bit more personal.

Besides personal friend blogs, I am a huge fan of Nina Paley.  Her blog can be viewed here.  I have been following her for quite some years now either by reading her blog or on facebook.  She is a great artist and pro-free-information-activist.  I have had the pleasure of meeting her after her release of her animated movie "Sita Sings the Blues."

Another blog that I follow is the Ikea Hackers. It is a great DIY blog that explores different "house" projects that every day people make.  If you're like me and enjoy taking things apart to make something different, then you'll enjoy creative projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment