Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 2-Level 1 Social Cataloging

I began using LibraryThing about a year ago.  I heard about it during one of my graduate classes and decided to give it a go.  I fell in love with it quickly due to the fact that it allows you to have sub-sections of the books you have read.  My profile can be viewed here.


I am able to keep track of the books that I personally own and the ones that I have checked out at the library.  It gives me the chance to get free books each month.  I have been selected now twice.  


In the past, I have attempted to use GoodReads as well, but I found myself more adjusted to LibrayThing since it was the first online book catalog service that I used.  I found it silly to repeat my information.


Both of these websites are quite amazing.  The thing that I adore about LibraryThing is that I get recommendations, and I can see how other people have rated a book. Personally, I am harsh on my ratings. I am not just rating the story, I am rating the literature.  Since I have a background in literature, I do notice that the books that I gave 2 stars too are often getting 4 stars.


It is a good tool to use with patrons because I can show them how to use the website themselves.  They are able to get quick recommendations on upcoming books and even books that might be similar to the one they just read.  It is also great for me to connect to other youth librarians.  


In terms of the negatives, like flickr, these websites are very time consuming.  It is easy to spend hours updating, creating profiles, tagging information and writing reviews.  Sometimes, it becomes a task and it loses the fun/ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment