Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 1 - Level 3 - Image Generators

So, I am still behind.  I have had a very busy time these last few weeks.  Next week is also a difficult week for me to work on this challenge.  I am determined to finish it though! 

For this challenge, I will be trying out different image generators.

The first website that I am checking out is ImageChef.
Check it out 
As you can see it is a pretty neat tool that allows you to take a basic empty image and add neat words to it.  I decided to go with the check mark and add "check it out" to it.  It seems me that there are a few ways that this website works.  There are either two images going on with one being layer on to up it.  The first image would be the exact words that you want to appear and the second image is the stamp.  I think that this is a great tool to use when trying get that visual appeal to younger patrons.  It is an easy tool to introduce children to image editing and generating without intimating them.

Another neat image generator that I tried is the Mosaic Maker by Big Huge Labs. It is another simple and cute tool.  I really like that it does all the work for you.  In the past when I wanted to make a photo mosaic, I would have to use MS Paint or Paint Net.  These can be a pester to use because you have to get the sizing quite right.  Mosaic Maker is neat due to the fact that there are no real photo adjustment issues.  They - the website does all the hard work for you.


I also gave Big Huge Labs' Jigsaw maker a try too. It is another neat tool.  I will be saving Big Huge Labs to my bookmarks for work at and at home. Below are the images that I created using Big Huge Labs.







In terms of the actual image generators, I think they're great tools as mentioned in the challenge section as a way to reach out.  You can use them with your fliers and on your websites to make things visually more appealing to youthful patrons.  What makes them fun too is that you can easily teach these safe websites to your patrons.  I do a monthly technology program with my children at the library and a lot of these websites are fun websites that my children and teens would enjoy.


As for my experience using image generators, I have used the one on flickr.  Flickr allows you to leave watermarks.  So, when I take photos of events or of my crafts, I add the watermarks to them to protect them from being copies without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment